Friday, October 25, 2019

Not too scary Halloween Cards - Distress Oxides

Hello everyone!  Most of the Halloween cards that I am going to share in the next few days were made using a combo of my time spent at my craft group, plus time spent at home.  I have found that traveling with my supplies is best used by making “pieces-parts” of cards.  

So, one week at craft group, I brought my Distress and Distress Oxide inks, and made a bunch of backgrounds.  I added ink with direct-to-paper techniques, and then added some water to blend them, and sometimes added salt to get texture.  

Another week, I brought stamp sets and just stamped out a bunch of images, colored them, and fussy cut them out.  I actually have a bunch of Christmas images done that I need to make into cards, too.  

Then I take them home, and I find it easier to put cards together there, where I have all my craft supplies at my fingertips.  Then I am able to make a variety of cards.

The first Halloween card, I stamped a creepy tree in the background, added black ink around the edge and then just added my cute costumed kids.  I really like this combo of creepy images and cute.  I don’t like too scary of cards for Halloween.



The second card, I went with a lot more detail.  I not only used my salt-treated oxide background, but I die cut and popped up some hills, stamped a haunted house on yellow and added glossy accents to the window.  I really love how this one turned out, and I hope the photo does it justice!




Supplies: Stampendous Bring to Life stamps set, Hero Arts CL057 October set, Just for Fun Rubber Stamps Haunted House and Tree, Distress Oxide ink and Versafine ink in black, Distress Oxide (card 1) Twisted Citron, Lucky Clover, Salty Ocean, (card 2) Seedless Preserves, Wilted Violet, Black soot,  Avery Elle Wonky Stitched Rectangles dies, Frantic Stamper stitched borders dies, other items from my stash.

I would love to enter the SimonSaysStamp’s Monday Challenge Spooky, and Lost Coast Portal to Creativity’s Halloween Challenge.

THANK YOU for your visit today!  Hope to see you again soon!

14 comments:

cuilliesocks said...

Hi Heidi, two super Halloween cards, brilliant images and designs, Kate x

*Vicki* said...

Heidi, your backrounds both turned out amazing! You've got a couple of really fun and spooky scenes going on in them and I think your images are adorable and too cute to spook for sure! :)

Cat Craig said...

great spooky scenes Heidi. Also, I agree with the pieces parts attack to getting crafty stuff done while in groups.

Verna Angerhofer said...

Both cute and spooky! I love your fun cards.

Lisa Babitz said...

I love both cards with those adorable characters on your cool backgrounds. Well done!!

Theresa's Studio said...

Great Halloween cards! Fun backgrounds!

Carol L said...

These are both such cool Halloween cards with fabulous backgrounds! I never tried using salt but what a novel idea for design! Super cute and fun!

Viv said...

Such clever Halloween cards here Heidi, love all the spookiness too ;) Viv xx

April said...

These are adorable! Love them. Backgrounds are great.

Conniecrafter said...

I love the cute little characters, I think your way of doing things probably make card making better, you probably take more time to make everything perfect, it seemed to work perfectly with your cards!

Mac Mable said...

I so love how you put these cards together. Fun technique with the salt and those little halloween characters are adorable x.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

These cards are amazing. Those backgrounds are perfectly done. Great colouring too

Let's Art Journal said...

Fabulous cards! The spooky tree looks amazing surrounded by those adorable Halloween characters 😁. Thanks so much for joining the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! Happy and creative wishes, Jo x

ionabunny said...

Too cute to spook!! Such fun cards. Thanks for joining the fun at the Lost Coast Portal to Creativity Challenge. Hugz