Thursday, November 15, 2018

Northern Lights Background

Hello everyone! Hope you’re doing well today!  It is supposed to snow a little bit here today, so these polar bears will feel right at home.


I heat embossed the trees onto watercolor paper with white embossing powder. I wanted the sky to mimic the aurora borealis, or Northern Lights.  I used sponges to add Distress inks in mint green, purple and dark blue.  I sprayed the panel with water to allow the colors to blend.  Once dry, I used a glitter gel pen to add some stars, and gems just to be festive.

I simply stamped the Polar bears, added a few shadows with a grey copic marker and trimmed them out to add under the sky.  I think they are enjoying the view!

Supplies: I Brake for Stamps Trees Background stamp, Mama and Baby Polar Bears stamp, Versamark ink, Recollections White detail embossing powder, Memento Black ink, Distress ink in Chipped Sapphire and Dusty Concord, Distress Oxide ink Cracked Pistachio, Sakura glitter pen, other items from my stash
(Save 10% on your order at I Brake for Stamps with code SAVE10HEIDI)

I would love to enter Cute Card Thursday’s Stars challenge

19 comments:

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

What a clever and creative background for your bears!! Beautiful!

April said...

Such a sweet card! I love your background. Great job!

cuilliesocks said...

Oh this is gorgeous Heidi, I love the image of the polar bear family, wonderful and your colours are too, Kate x

*Vicki* said...

Those bears are so adorable! Love that amazing northern lights background you've made and especially with those silver dots and gems added for the stars!! Wonderfully done! Thanks so much for sharing this with us this week over at Cute Card Thursday! HUGS

Carol L said...

Those colors are fantastic, wow! Beautiful card!

Cat Craig said...

Brilliant background for those bears! Fabulous card.

Verna Angerhofer said...

I love your scene. Cute bears and love the sky.

Linda Langes said...

That AB background looks so fabulous Heidi.

Megan J said...

Hi Heidi, a stunning aurora borealis background for the sweet polar bears. Have a wonderful weekend... Megan

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

Such a stunning card. You did an amazing job with the Northern Lights. How clever to emboss your branches in white embossing powder. The polar bears are a nice touch.

Viv said...

Great card Heidi and such a lovely little scene you created too ;) Viv xx

Diane said...

Stunning background color and design Heidi.

Hugs Diane

Conniecrafter said...

Oh my goodness Heidi, those bears are just adorable and I just love that background stamp and your colors for the background are gorgeous, love the addition of the gems and glitter pen, terrific card!

aussie aNNie said...

STUNNING JUST LOVE LOVE LOVE this beautiful card, so realistic with the Northern Lights.xx

Mac Mable said...

I am sure those adorable bears are enjoying their marvellous view. Great northern lights background and love how you've done the White embossed trees. Such an eye catching card X

Bev Polen said...

WOW! This is one awesome card, Heidi! You created a marvelous background for the gorgeous bears. I love everything about this card! Great work!

wannabcre8tive said...

Heidi, this is just gorgeous. I love the northern lights and the cute bears.

Marina said...

How fabulous! This is a stand-out card!

Lisa Babitz said...

Beautiful background! I love the white against the gorgeous night sky. The stars you added look great too.