Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Stamptangle Stars - Stamping with Watercolor crayons

Hello!  Today I am sharing a couple cards for Just for Fun using a technique where you stamp with a watercolor crayon instead of ink.  It is loads of fun and also easy to do!

(I added just a little splatter ot this card.  This stamping is on mixed media paper.)

My watercolor crayons are from Prima and they call them Watersoluble Oil Pastels.  There are plenty of other brands that have a similar product, including gelatos.  (Note that the distress crayons are not supposed to work for this technique.)

First, I colored all over my stamp with the lightest color crayon, and then added the darker two colors randomly.  I then spritzed two or three sprays of water right onto the stamp.


I went ahead and stamped this three times, without reinking or spraying more water on the stamp.  You can see that your look will vary a little based on how much crayon you apply to the stamp and how wet it is.  There is no wrong or right for these amounts - experiment and see what you like.

(This is regular cardstock.)

The great thing about this watercolor technique is that it works well on all the papers I have tried.  Regular cardstock and watercolor paper both work great.  My favorite results are on a Mixed Media paper -- they just seemed a little more vibrant. 

(Here, I used very little splatter.  This is on mixed media paper.)

The stamps I used in these projects are the Stamptangle Star - Large, Stamptangle Star - Small, Have a Wonderful Christmas Sentiment and "Holiday Magic" is from the Sentiments 3 Unmounted Sheet.  Remember, you can choose from wood mount, cling mount or unmounted stamps when you shop at Just for Fun!


Here is a second card style I made with a star from the tutorial.

Don't forget to link your Christmas and Winter projects to the Just for Fun December Challenge!  You do not need to use JFF stamps for these, but if you do, you get an extra entry for the gift certificate drawing!

Thank you for stopping by today!  Hope to see you again soon!

I would love to participate in The Inkspirational Challenge - CAS With Sparkle.

9 comments:

*Vicki* said...

I have not used my watercolor crayons in forever!! I used to color with them all the time, thanks for reminding me about them with your stunning creation!! Such a beautiful mix of colors and a great idea for your stars too!! HUGS :)

Jeanne H said...

Wonderful card. Thanks for the "how-to" suggestions. :-)

lostinpaper said...

What a fun and wonderful result that the crayons give! Love your colours too!

Beth Norman said...

Your cards are sure pretty. Thanks for the reminder of this technique. You rock! The colours you used are awesome.

Conniecrafter said...

Beautiful color combination, really gives them a look of texture, so pretty!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

The water color crayon look is cool, especially with those splatters.

Cat Craig said...

Wonderful colors and thanks for the new technique.

cm said...

Watercolour crayons? WOW! Talk about a fabulous way to showcase your pretty snowflakes! Thank you for sharing this gem in the Inkspirational gallery!
~carol

Pia Larsen said...

The watercolour technique looks awesome and the result absolutely so!
Thank you so much for playing along with us at Inkspirational Challenges. We would love for you to join us again soon :)
Pia xx