Friday, February 17, 2017

Distress Oxide Ink Experiments - Floral cards

Warning, wordy post!!

I had pre-ordered the entire set of Distress Oxide inks after seeing some of the demo videos Tim Holtz did at CHA.  At first I had to sigh, how can there be yet another Distress line!?  Even seeing the neat backgrounds Tim was making, I would not have picked them up, but when I saw that you could stamp with them and some other things, I thought that I would spend my Christmas money on them and see what I could do.


I got them on Monday!  When I first started playing with them, I was getting a little frustrated that I couldn't get the background results I had seen in the demo.  After watching them again, I really think this is because I do not have a spray bottle that sprays big drops of water (like the distress one, I only have the mini misters.) I am going to get that soon to see if it makes a difference.  Yes, you can get those big drops using your hand or a brush, but the process of drying the background with a heat gun AND holding a brush and having water nearby was too cumbersome.

Here are my very first experiments: 

(Please click on any of the photos to enlarge them.)


Like I said, I would not be happy with getting these if I could only do backgrounds, so I decided to not only make the background but also stamp over it with the Distress Oxide inks.  Even the sentiments are stamped in the Distress Oxide inks.  This first one turned out well, I think.  The background was made with Cracked Pistacio, Broken China and Faded Jeans in lots of layers -- drying in between.  I stamped with the Faded Jeans.  You can definitely see the chalky Oxide look to the surface.  It is pretty neat.


The second card I am not really happy with.  The green color of the flower silhouette was not dark enough to show my image well and it oxidized more as it dried, making it even more blurry looking.  I thought I would share it anyhow. I would have been more happy with it had I used the Broken China to stamp with instead of Peeled Paint.  The background was made with Broken China, Peeled Paint, Cracked Pistachio and a little Vintage Photo.


Supplies: Just for Fun Rubber Stamps Flora and Fauna Sheet, Sentiments 3, Distress Oxide Inks, MFT Pierced squares dies, Elizabeth Designs embossing folder.

I would love to participate in the following challenge:
SimonSaysStamp Fantastic Florals

Thanks for stopping by today!  I will have another Distress Oxide project to share tomorrow.  See you soon!

To see all my posts using Distress Oxide inks, click here.

To see my tutorial for a Faux Bleaching technique, using Distress Oxides , click here.  

21 comments:

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

The gift that keeps on giving eh Heidi? LOL Your background pieces look fabulous, and I see nothing wrong with the second one! It's a soft look that reminds me of a hidden garden with lots of foliage, very dreamy! Have a lovely day! Luv n’ Hugs. Hazel xx
My Card Attic

*Vicki* said...

Your backgrounds look amazing here Heidi!! I have JUST ordered these and can't wait to start playing with them myself!! :) I saw both Tim's video and then just saw Jennifer McGuire's video and knew that I had to have a play with them! LOL!! Brilliant designs with these..just love the look!! And yes, that Ranger water mister is pretty cool! :) Thanks for sharing your results...hopefully sometime soon I will have done so as well!! Have a great weekend! HUGS

Carol L said...

Your cards are fabulous with those beautiful backgrounds! I like the first one, but the 2nd is my favorite. I love how the colors are blended and those muted silhouette tones look incredible! Have fun getting inky again and again now :)

Cat Craig said...

I love that you showed us your experiments, you are to hard on your self, that second one is dreamy. Love them both.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Thanks! I guess that is why I shared that second one, I figured someone else would like it better. It is growing on me!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Thanks, Cat! You are very kind!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I can't wait to see what you think of them!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Oh, thanks, that is a good point about a dreamy garden. :)

Beth Norman said...

Oh, lucky you. An entire collection. Swoooon. Your cards are terrific and I'm looking forward to seeing what you have for us tomorrow. Experimentation is your thing.

Darnell said...

Oh, wow, I think I'm getting too old to keep up with all the new products and releases constantly coming out, but you sure sold the new inks with these gorgeous cards, Heidi! I'm a sucker for the soft olive, sagey, golden tones you got with that second card, so it's actually my favorite! (But only by a hair!) Funny, how art speaks to each of us differently, huh? That's what keeps it interesting!! Hugs, Darnell

Viv said...

Great cards Heidi, love what you did with your fab new inks too. The TH inks are a favourite of mine,I can't stop using them now lol ;) Viv xx

Tracy Freeman said...

They are all beautiful and I really like the green one, the flowers being so subtle look great.
Thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge X

Mac Mable said...

Thank you for the inspiration and sharing these gorgeous cards. I too love the second one as well x

Conniecrafter said...

I really love the results you achieved in that first card, and the stamping of both the sentiments are really nice and clear!

scrappymo! said...

Oh my goodness...these are both gorgeous! i love the inky look you got with them!

And here I am trying to avoid purchases right now! Perhaps I will put them on my birthday list!

Marina said...

This is an interesting post and I think the ards you made are lovely. I too have been tempted to get these new inks, after seeing Jennifer Maguire demo them on Youtube... I haven't found anywhere in the UK that has them yet, so I will wait.

Sharon Fontenot said...

I understand that you may not be getting the effect you were looking for, but these cards are gorgeous. I love these types of techniques, because they turn into such individual creations - no two alike. I checked up on these ink pads and will be watching some videos. I look forward to reading more about your adventures with this product.
I see that you got to go to CHA. Do you live far from there? I went last year in Anaheim and had an amazing time.

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Thanks so much. I also enjoy techniques that work differently each time. That reveal is part of the fun. Sorry for the confusion, I did not attend CHA, I was talking about the demos that a few people recorded and posted on Youtube. I appreciate your comment!

Christi Conley said...

I just wrote a long comment and lost it!! Anyway, I just found you from a post on Pinterest and I am thrilled I did. I'm following you and I'll be looking at all your fabulous posts (and I LOVE both of those cards!!)

Judi said...

I just got my Oxidized inks this week and began experimenting. I was also not thrilled with the lack of droplets, so I made, a puddle, spritzed with water and ran my finger through it to create large droplets. Worked like a charm. Never dismiss getting your fingers inky!!!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Wonderful cards Heidi I’ve a five of them and not had time to try such things hopefully after Christmas ... I love the first one best, must try it... now just have to remember.
Thanks for sharing your inspiration!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}