Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Distress Oxide Technique - Stamping with Water

Hello and hope you are well today.  I would like to share some cards and a quick tutorial for a technique that I used with Distress Oxide inks.  I know that these inks are great for blending - I am seeing that all over the crafting world - they really do blend like a dream!  And they are also great for reacting with water, so I combined those two strengths here.


This background used Broken China, Faded Jeans and Peeled Paint Distress Oxides sponged and blended on plain white cardstock.  The tree line was stamped on the back.


If you aren't familiar with this technique, let me show you how easy it is.
(Click on the photos to enlarge.)

First, sponge the Distress Oxides on your cardstock with a heavy hand to get good coverage.



Second, ink up your stamp (solid ones work well) with Versamark ink.  (This step is optional, but I think it helps.)


Spritz the stamp with water a couple of times and stamp over your background.


The ink reacts with the water by oxidizing and turning white as well as the watermark that would happen with regular distress inks.  The result is really quite pretty and easy to do!



Here is the card I made with this background.





(If you missed it, check out my other Distress Oxide tutorial for faux bleaching.)

Supplies:  Just for Fun Rubber Stamps Flora and Fauna Unmounted Sheet, Tree Line Background stamp, Sentiment sheet 3, Distress Oxide inks, Versamark, Embossing folders by Darice and Elizabeth Crafts, Versafine Majestic Blue ink.

Thanks for stopping by!  I would love it if you left a comment so I know you were here! 

I am playing in the following challenges:
ModSquad Challenge - Plant Kindness (both cards qualify)
CASology Melt (tree card)

The Flower Challenge - Anything Goes (Floral card)

26 comments:

*Vicki* said...

I love the different strips on your panel! I haven't had the time yet to REALLY play around with these inks to see all that they can do! Your cards have been inspiring! Hugs & Smiles - *Vicki*

Mac Mable said...

Those inks really do look amazing. Great technique and love the colours against the white dry embossed backgrounds x

Carol L said...

What a fun technique and great resulting cards! I just love those vivid colors with the washed out trees! Great look!

Cat Craig said...

Heidi, I am loving your oxide ink tutorials. I picked up two shades recently, looking for more as well and I can't wait to play with them. You have been so inspiring. Your tree card is fabulous...I was trying to figure it out before reading your post...and I was no where close..lol.

Princess Judy Palmer said...

This is cool how it comes out. It makes me think of the bleaching technique but without the mess and smell of bleach. Actually.... much cooler than bleach. Love your cards!

Marina said...

This is great - you make me want these inks.

Macimbalo said...

Beautiful! Love this look! Thanks so much for playing along with us at  The Mod Squad Challenge Angie, Challenge Host.

Lisa Babitz said...

I love how you separated and arranged your inked/stamped panel. Great tutorial, too!

scrappymo! said...

Gorgeous card. I love the look fo this technique. It is very subtle and more subdued looking than the old beach alternative!

Linda Langes said...

Thanks for the tutorial Heidi - love that idea. They are cool inks to work with hey.

Beth Norman said...

Thanks for your wonderful tutorial. I love your cards. The first one is cut up in a pretty cool way.

My Card Attic: Hazel said...

I can tell you are having tremendous fun with those Distress Oxide inks Heidi! And no wonder, with stunning results like these! You are staring to lead me astray here, I am starting to wonder if I should get some. I've managed to resist so far, but with seeing results like these . . . Have a great day! Luv n’ Hugs. Hazel xx
My Card Attic

Maria Rodriguez said...

Oh my goodness!! I love, love the vibrant colors of your cards, I've never heard of this technique and now you have inspired me to give it a try.
Thank you for playing along with THE FLOWER CHALLENGE, I hope you join us again next time.
Hugs,
Maria Rodriguez.DT

SewPaperPaint said...

Oh Heidi, I'm so glad you shared the tip about using Versmark ink first. I had tried stamping with water on regular DI backgrounds and didn't quite get the look I had hoped for. I can't wait to give this a try. I'm thinking it would be great to do another image over and use the white out as a shadow or highlight. Woo hoo! Thanks for the inspiration. Big hugs, Autumn

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I hope you have luck with it! I had good results with all my trials. That is a great idea to stamp again to have the white highlight!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

I am a bit of a stick in the mud about the bleach, I just refuse to use it in the craft room! Too much room for big messes!

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

It will be fun to see what you make with your inks!

Gwendolyn said...

Great tutorial, thanks for this easy but very effective technique, will try it soon!

Conniecrafter said...

Another fabulous technique and looks great!! I love how you cut up the first image and the black matting and embossed background in the second!!

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

two great cards, Heidi love both techniques and they are on my wishlist .. when they dont cost the earth to buy here!
I love the way you've cut and laid out the first image too and great colour combo!
Thanks so much for sharing your inspiration!
Happy belated WOYWW!
Shaz in Oz.x #21

{Shaz in Oz – Calligraphy Cards}

Joyce said...

Fabulous technique makes for a beautiful card. Thanks so much for playing along at CASology this week.

wannabcre8tive said...

Good Morning, Heidi. I love your beautiful cards you made with the oxide inks. Thanks for showing us how to use the oxide inks. I have some, but have not had a chance to use them yet.

BethB said...

Such lovely cards and clear explanation. There aren't enough tutorials or videos - yet! - for CAS cards using Oxide inks, and you helped fill the gap. (I was lucky enough to take an Oxide Distress ink class and just adore them.)

Daisylanecards said...

Beautiful! The colors are so vivid. Great background for the muted images

sally said...

Can't wait to try this. Thanks

Unknown said...

You people are so clever! You give me so many good ideas that I want to do ; but there aren't enough hours in the day for me to do all I want to do!
Thank yo for your ideas
Betty