Friday, August 16, 2019

Pinned It? Try It! - Stenciled Gesso Resist

This is the start of a new blog series for me.  Have you ever pinned something on Pinterest, and then never got around to trying that idea?  I know — that is a silly question!  If you use Pinterest, I am sure you have done that.  

I am going through my pins and am going to actually try the ideas I saw!  My first idea came from this blog post from 2016: My Creative Rumblings.  Please check out Shelly’s card.  The basic idea was to use gesso through a stencil onto regular cardstock, let it dry, and then color over with watercolor crayons and blend out.   The gesso will act as a resist.  

I’m not sure what specific supplies Shelly used, but let me show you my process. 


First, I used a palate knife to apply Faber Castell gesso through a stencil.  This is a fairly thick gesso, but it is the same gesso I use to prep paper, so it isn’t as thick as modeling paste.  I let this dry completely.

Later, I came back and colored over my stenciling with Prima Water Soluble Pastel crayons.  These are the only watercolor-type crayons I have. I like them because I can also stamp with them.  




I then spritzed each background with water, and then used a wet brush to move the color around.  I then wiped off the extra color with a damp paper towel. I used a light touch as I wondered if the stenciling would rub off if I was too heavy handed.  

These are my results when my background were still wet.  I like them both!  I bet I would get a better color blend if I had used watercolor paper.  But regular cardstock worked just fine. 




Here is my first card. I added die cut sentiment and some cute die cut stamps over vellum.  Then I cut tiny strips of glitter paper and used them for a border.  


The second card, I used a doily die cut I had in my scrap box.  I no longer own this die. I think I must have accidentally thrown it out.  I then added the bird, saying and some sequins to finish this off.  This card did warp a little. I should have let the background dry a little more completely before assembling the card. I have it under a book now to flatten it before mailing. 



Supplies: Hero Arts Swans and Cattails stamp and die set, Stampin Up A Happy Thing Stamp set, Close to My Heart Wordfetti stamp set, Memento and Archival black inks, DCWV Twinkle Glints 6x6 glitter paper pad, Creative Expressions Autumn stencil, Fabric Creations by Plaid doily stencil, Faber Castell Gesso, Prima Watersoluble Oil Pastels

I hope I have inspired you to try a new idea!  If you are interested in my Pinterest, here is a link.  


24 comments:

*Vicki* said...

Wow! The backgrounds both turned out stunning!! Such a cool concept that I haven't tried out before, but something I'm sure I would love! You've finished out the cards beautifully with these too!!

cuilliesocks said...

Oh my Heidi both your cards are fabulous, a super technique and brilliant colours, your designs are brilliant, Kate x

Shelly Schmidt said...

Your cards are just gorgeous!!! I love the layout on the first, and I am partial to birds- big birdwatcher : ) Love the background and that beautiful bird! So nice that you tried the Pinned post- and loving your results. I think the regular paper turned out beautifully, the watercolor paper has a texture to it, but the regular paper made a great background!
I am so glad you left a note- fun to see techniques done in different colors and with different stencils. I will have to do it again : )

April said...

These are beautiful and you know I love the bird one! Thanks for sharing the technique too. I will have to try this!

Cat Craig said...

HEidi, a great technique tutorial and fabulous cards resulting. Everything you've added to the backgrounds you created highlight those backgrounds. Love.

Ellibelle said...

What a great idea for a blog series! These turned out beautifully!

Darnell said...

I have about (cough) thousand of these pins I want to try! I'm so inspired by you actually DOING it, Heidi. This is a brilliant first post in your series and the cards are stunning!! Hugs, Darnell

Verna Angerhofer said...

Gorgeous cards.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Wow, Heidi, what a fabulous technique! Thanks for sharing.

Viv said...

Wow Heidi these cards look terrific!what a great idea and technique too.Now I just have to remember it lol! Viv xx

Conniecrafter said...

Oh yes I have many ideas to try :) Love the results you got from this, like your vellum over it so not to cover up your pretty background. That bird is just too sweet on the second, bummer you may have lost that doily die, I think I may have done the same with a stamp I can't find :( Both gorgeous cards from these!

Carol L said...

These backgrounds look wonderful! I have water color crayons but have never tried this technique before but what you've done is impressive! I really like that bird card!!

Marina said...

What a great idea for a series! The technique worked wonderfully and both cards are beautiful. I am so looking forward to seeing more!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh, Heidi, these are awesome and now I will PIN you! haha And Shelly, too. I've known her long time, from back when Yahoo art groups were our Facebook. She wouldn't steer you wrong, so I know you got a good tutorial to begin with. And so glad to see you left her a note and she commented! And I totally loved how you made it art. I have Derwent Art Bars, Neo II crayons, Portfolios AND Gelatos, of course. I should do this, huh? And with all my stencils, I could do just this one technique for a year, bwahahaha. Putting it on my really long list right now! xoxox

aussie aNNie said...

These turned out really fabulous..love the technique.
It's the acetate on my card that gives it a 3D look, it's thick acetate you use for binding so effective.

Connie Mercer said...

gorgeous!!!

Karen Dunbrook said...

love your results....such lovely cards and all unique.
:) Karen

Esther Asbury said...

I go through my boards every once in a while - to try those marvelous ideas I've pinned. Looks like you had a lot of fun with your gesso resist - cool backgrounds!

Mac Mable said...

Yes I have done exactly the same on Pinterest too....Loved reading your post and thank you for the reminder of this technique. The effect of the resist gesso looks amazing. Both cards look so artsy and have the wow factor x.

wannabcre8tive said...

Your cards are beautiful, I especially love the one with the little bird on it. You have made some amazing backgrounds.

Beth Norman-Roberts said...

I don't know where to begin. Thanks for sharing your process. What a stunning group of cards. They are so very very beautiful. TGIF.

Lisa said...

I love this new series! I can't wait to see more! Love watercolor crayons! how do you stamp with them, I have tried and haven't had a lot of luck! Anyways awesome cards as always!

Chark said...

Love! tfs!

Daria said...

Such a wonderful idea for a series of cards! I love your backgrounds and your cards. Thank you for sharing the details.